REDWOOD HIGH SCHOOL
ATTENDANCE PROCEDURES & INFORMATION
ATTENDANCE OFFICE CONTACT
Phone: (415) 945-3679
Hours: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Please report absences in ONE of the following ways:
- Email – Preferred - email@example.com
- ParentVue input by parent for full day absences
- Written Note by Parent or Doctor
- Phone - (415) 945-3679
Absences must be reported within 72 hours or students will be considered unexcused.
TO REPORT A FULL DAY ABSENCE
Full day absences can be reported in ParentVUE under the attendance tab. You can also email Tami Pias-Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org
If calling, please speak slowly and include the following information:
- Name of student - please spell out the student’s last name
- Person calling and relationship with students
- Date of absence (specify all day or time student will arrive at school)
- Reason for absence
REQUEST TO LEAVE CAMPUS EARLY
Students who need to leave during the school day must have an Off-Campus Pass, otherwise the absence is considered unexcused.
To request an Off-Campus Pass:
- Send your student to the attendance office with a parent's note detailing the reason and departure time. Students may come to the office BEFORE SCHOOL or DURING BREAK (not during class time)
- OR email the attendance office at email@example.com
Please allow 3 hours’ notice when emailing or calling for a same day off campus pass. If you come to the attendance office needing your student right away, please understand that it may take some time, especially if your student is in PE. Also, note, we do not have pass runners during SMART period, and students often move around during SMART, which makes it difficult to locate them in a rush!
CALIFORNIA ED CODE EXCUSED ABSENCES
- Injury or Illness
- Medical or Dental appointments
- Attending a funeral service
- Jury duty
- Attending a cultural ceremony or event
- Authorized at the discretion of a school administrator
Any full or partial day absence not listed above is considered unexcused unless approved by an administrator with a fully completed WARRANTED ABSENCE FORM
ATTENDANCE AND GRADES
Frequent absences and tardies cause students to miss instruction and, as a result, they are likely to fall behind and do poorly in missed classes. All issues or questions regarding attendance related to grades should be discussed with each teacher directly and/or the student’s counselor.
Teachers mark students TARDY and ABSENT, not the Attendance Office. If a student feels they were marked absent by mistake, they should contact their teacher directly who can correct the error within 24 hours. DO NOT contact the attendance office about incorrect attendance before contacting the teacher directly! We DO NOT clear tardies - if a student arrives back to campus from an appointment, they need a pass to clear the ABSENCE that the teacher has marked.
With an increased focus on student attendance, TUHSD schools will send automated calls home when students are absent or tardy to class.
EXCUSED ABSENCES are:
- Personal illness; including absences for the benefit of a student’s mental or behavioral health.
- Quarantine under city or county direction;
- Medical, dental, optometry, or chiropractic services, although students are strongly encouraged to make these appointments outside of school hours;
- Attending funeral services of an immediate family member. Excused absences are limited to one (1) day if the funeral is in California and three days (3) if the service is conducted outside California;
- Exclusion for not having been properly immunized. Such an absence should be excused for not more than five (5) school days;
- Jury duty
- Participation in religious instruction or exercises in accordance with district policy; and
- Serving as a member of a precinct board for an election (Election Code Section 12302).
- Upon advance written request by the parent/guardian and the approval of the principal or designee, for justifiable personal reasons;
- To spend time with an immediate family member who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, and has been called to duty for deployment to a combat zone or a combat support position or is on leave from or has immediately returned from such deployment;
- To attend their naturalization ceremony to become a United States citizen.
Unless your child is arriving late because of an appointment, we do not “clear” tardies. If a teacher has indicated your child was tardy to class, and you feel this is an error, please contact the teacher directly to discuss this. This is not handled in our attendance office.
WHEN A MEDICAL NOTE IS NEEDED
As per AR 5113, the school is required to document verification of the reason for an absence. In addition to a note or call, a school employee may visit the student's home or use any other reasonable method to establish the fact that the student was actually absent for the reason stated. If a student shows a pattern of chronic absenteeism due to illness, district staff may require physician verification of any further student absences (AR 5113). Chronic absenteeism is when a student has missed 10% or more of school days due to excused absence.
For more information regarding attendance, you may consult the TUHSD Parent Handbook
Redwood website: https://CA01000875.schoolwires.net/redwood